Supporting Military Veterans
Assisting the more than one million military veterans who served their Commonwealth and country.
- Senator Mensch’s Bill to Continue State Military College Legislative Appointment Program Becomes Law July 7, 2016
- Senate Approves Bill to Strengthen PA Veterans Trust Fund June 27, 2016
- New Law Adds Korean War Representative to State Veterans Commission June 13, 2016
- Senate Passes Baker Bill Granting Property Tax Relief For Spouse of Soldiers Killed In Action June 13, 2016
- Senate “Welcomes Home Vietnam Veterans” with a Resolution March 23, 2016
- Senate Approves Veterans Preference Hiring Measure March 15, 2016
- Informational Meeting Issues Facing the Veteran/Military Community March 8, 2016
- Governor Signs Senator Vulakovich’s Military Bills into Law December 18, 2015
- Committee Supports National Guard Youth Challenge Program December 9, 2015
- Senator Vulakovich’s Bills Sent to Governor December 3, 2015
- Senate Passes Bills Designating Indiana County Bridges for War Heroes November 19, 2015
- Veterans Committee Holds Hearing on National Guard Youth Challenge November 19, 2015
- Committee Recommends Creation of Voluntary Veterans Preference Hiring Program in Private Sector November 18, 2015
- Committee to Hold Hearing on National Guard Youth Challenge Program November 16, 2015
- Senate Approves Tax Exemption for Active Duty Military Pay July 17, 2015
- Bill Honoring Vietnam War Hero Signed by the Governor July 14, 2015
- McIlhinney Resolution Honors Limb Loss Awareness April 13, 2015
- Committee Hearing Focuses on Veterans’ Issues February 26, 2015
- Act 11 of 2015 provides in-state tuition rates at community colleges and state-related/state-owned institutions of higher learning for veterans, their spouses and dependent children.
- Act 17 of 2015 (Baker) authorizes the special “Honoring Our Veterans” license plate for motorcycles.
- Act 18 of 2015 (Baker) allocates a portion of the funds raised through sales of “Honoring Our Veterans” motorcycle license plates to the Veterans Trust Fund to assist veterans in need.
- Act 23 of 2015 ensures that a veteran’s military education and training are given strong consideration for the purpose of fulfilling requirements for professional credentials.
- Act 32 of 2015 (Baker) sets fines and penalties for those who falsely claim to be a veteran on their Pennsylvania driver’s license application.
- Act 50 of 2015 extends the deadline for Pennsylvania veterans to apply for the Persian Gulf Conflict Veterans’ Bonus to August 31, 2018.
- Act 82 of 2015 (Vulakovich) standardizes the term “other than dishonorable” when dealing with a veteran’s eligibility for programs and benefits, eliminating confusion as to state benefits eligibility.
- Act 83 of 2015 (Vulakovich) codifies the standards for the promotion for the Pennsylvania National Guard and ensures compliance with U.S. Army and U.S. Air Force uniform regulations.
- Act 6 of 2016 provides an Earned Income Tax exemption for active duty military pay. Senate Version Senate Bill 652 (Baker)
- Act 42 of 2016 (Aument) adds a representative from the Korean War Veterans Association to the State Veterans Commission, a panel comprised of representatives from Pennsylvania’s major veterans associations.
- Act 61 of 2016 increases the minimum active duty pay for Pennsylvania National Guard personnel from $75 to $100 per day.
- Act 81 of 2016 (Mensch) removes the sunset date of June 30, 2016 from the “State Military College Legislative Appointment Initiative,” which allows members of the General Assembly to appoint annually an eligible student from their legislative districts.
- Act 84 of 2016 (Tax Code) adds a definition of “veteran” to the Job Creation Tax Credit and provides that a new job filled by a veteran may qualify for a tax credit up to $2,500.
- Senate Bill 1109 (Baker) proposes amending the state Constitution to extend the property tax exemption program for disabled veterans to the surviving spouse of soldiers killed in action.
- Senate Bill 1056 (Baker) updates the law on the assignment of custody and visitation rights of deployed parents.
- Senate Bill 1155 (Reschenthaler) establishes a special vehicle license plate for members of the United States Armed Forces adding special recognition for active members of the military, reserves, and Pennsylvania National Guard.
- Senate Bill 1226 (Vulakovich) streamlines and improves the Pennsylvania Veterans Trust Fund and ensures that it continues to provide assistance to those who have served in uniform.
- Senate Resolution 171 (Argall) directs the Pennsylvania Legislative Budget and Finance Committee to study the potential cost-savings and effectiveness of allowing the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs to partner with the private sector to provide additional care for veterans.
|Senate Veterans Affairs and Emergency Preparedness Committee
Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
Veterans Online Resource Directory
Military Family Relief Assistance Program